I remember the first time I saw the ‘self development’ section in a book store. The sign read ‘Self Development/ Self Help Books’ and I thought, “People buy books to learn how to develop and help themselves?! Who would do that?” Apparently me. And who would have guessed that just a few years later I would become a self development/ self help addict and want nothing more than to join that group of writer’s in that section. So to the onlooker in question I KNOW what you’re thinking, but let me break it down for you…
According to Merriam-Webster’s* ‘simple’ definition, the word ‘development’ is defined as:
- the act or process of growing or causing something to grow or become larger or more advanced.
- the act or process of creating something over a period of time.
- the state of being created or made more advanced.
- Grow: Development means growing, and what MW is acknowledging here is that through development there is the potential to grow so much one can advance themselves. To where you ask? Hard to say since the possibilities are unlimited! In relation to the ‘self’, isn’t that what we’re all working to do? To grow and advance ourSELF in order to achieve our potential and assume our greatness? In my opinion, YES!
- Process: I like how MW associates development with process. While we all want things or wish to become someone, we forget that it’s all a process; something that is created over a period of time. Developing means allowing yourSELF the time and space to grow. This means that it doesn’t all happen in a day. If you were to re-decorate your house that doesn’t happen in a day, that process takes time.But with special care and by paying attention to detail, what you end up with is a beautiful, thoughtful result. Enjoy the process because as Einstein said, “Time is irrelevant.”
- Create: I love the third point which highlights a state of being created. I interpret this as we have the power to create our state of being. Consider that everything around you at this moment—a cup, a computer, a pencil, your pants—was once an idea in someone’s head, and that idea was eventually created and brought into reality. So consider whatever you desire in your life starts as an idea in your head and can be created by you. You have the power to self develop and become that which you wish to be because you are the Master of Creation! Talk about a solid title, “Hello, my name is Julie and I am a Master of Creation.”
So, if you’re looking to grow and advance yourself, create a new state of being to live from and are willing to trust the process, then check out the self development/ self help section in your book store and see what you’ll unlock.
Don’t know where to begin?
Well, I get there’s tons of options out there, but if you’re looking to create positive permanent change in your life and wish to live passionately over your past experiences then check out my book, Passion Over Past.
Oh, and from personal experience I can say there is nothing ‘wrong’ or ‘weird’ about wanting to develop and unlock yourSELF in a new, profound way. In my opinion, it would be a ‘wrong’ and ‘weird’ not to.
For exclusive coaching tips and insights I only share in email, sign up for my free weekly newsletter.